Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Here is a nice interview I did after the show of "Brand Upon the Brain" in Portland for the Oregonian. - Karen

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Interview: Karen Black, the ultimate indie actor

Posted by Mike Russell October 14, 2007 15:19PM

Categories: Top Stories
Legendary actress Karen Black ("Nashville," "Five Easy Pieces") popped into Portland Saturday to do live narration on the Cinema 21 screenings of Guy Maddin's silent film, "Brand Upon the Brain!" She was absolutely hilarious as the emcee of Maddin's psychosexual memory play - which includes a domineering mother who monitors her children from a lighthouse; a reanimated corpse for a father; and a sister who falls in love with a famous girl detective as the kids tried to solve a mystery involving orphans with holes in their skulls. (Did I mention that Maddin is an experimental filmmaker?)

Black was especially giddy when interpreting the voice of Maddin's onscreen mother as a nagging cacophony of guilt trips and hysterical moans. She's one of a series of live narrators on the film's traveling road show; others have included Lou Reed, Laurie Anderson and Crispin Glover.

Black, 62, has earned a reputation as the hardest-working woman in show business; she made seven movies in 2003 and five this year; she's jetting from Portland to Washington, D.C. for a one-woman show. Her refusal to slow down has garnered her some disparate cult fan bases: She's approached by Altman fans and horror aficionados, the latter thanks to her turns in fare like "Trilogy of Terror" and "House of 1000 Corpses."

To read more of this interview, click here:
Karen Black interview in the Oregonian

2 comments:

Joe said...

Hello Karen!

I was just posting on my blog about meeting some famous people and I shared the time I met you at Casa Vega in Studio City. It was last year, probably before summer. You were waiting for a table and sat next to my wife and I. I had asked you if it was indeed you and I shared how much I loved "Burnt Offerings."

Just wanted to send a quick note to say hello and glad to see you are a blogspot blogger as well.

Take care,

Joe.

DanNation said...

Love you, Karen. We did a tribute to you and Airport 75 over at my podcast on my blog www.dannation.org a couple of months ago - keep up the blogging!